Emancipation Of Minors: Is It The Right Thing To Do?

If you're 16 years of age and want to become emancipated from your parents, you may wonder if it's the right thing for you to do. Young people in your age group become emancipated from their parents for a number of reasons, including financial hardships and physical abuse. If you think emancipation is something you need to do right now, consult a family law attorney immediately. Learn more about the emancipation of minors and why it may or may not be right for you below. 

What Does the Emancipation of Minors Mean?

Many states allow minors to emancipate, or legally leave and terminate the care, of their parents. However, the emancipation of minors can be a tricky and often confusing situation for many young adults today. Once a minor leaves the direct care of their parents, the individual become fully responsible for their own financial, medical, and spiritual care.

States like Florida require minors to be 16 years of age or older before they can obtain an emancipation order from a court-appointed family law judge. Some states only allow minors to request an emancipation order through an adult representative or guardian.

Once a minor files for an emancipation order, a family court looks over their case to see if the minor can handle adult responsibilities without the direct care or guidance of their parents. A court judge needs to know if the minor can:

  • obtain a steady and good-paying job
  • pay for their living expenses, including rent, food, and transportation
  • respect the laws of their state, including the age-related laws regarding drinking and smoking

If you think you can do the things above without the direction of your parents, seek legal counsel from a family law attorney soon.

How Can a Family Law Attorney Guide You?

A family law attorney will sit down with you and discuss the legal responsibilities and laws regarding the emancipation of minors. An attorney will inform you about the limitations you may still have as a minor, including underage drinking. If law enforcement arrests you for underage drinking, you may be persecuted as an adult. Your parents may not be responsible for any legal actions you make or experience as an emancipated minor.

An attorney may also want to know why you wish to become emancipated from your parents. You must have valid reasons for leaving the direct care of your parents, such as child abuse or criminal behavior. If you suffer from something that makes it impossible for you to remain in your parents' care, tell an attorney immediately. An attorney can relay the information to a family court judge when you file your emancipation request forms. 

Learn more about the emancipation of minors by contacting a family law attorney today.